Thursday, July 21, 2011

American Girl

And so it begins - the enamoration with all things 'American Girl.' A new store opened here last weekend and when we were at
the mall yesterday, it was unavoidable. Even if we had managed to steer clear of the store the evidence of it's existence was a huge presence in the mall what with the huge signs adorning the common areas not to mention girls of all ages toting their dolls everywhere we looked. And dang-it, you can't walk into the store and not catch the bug. They obviously have very talented individuals on their marketing and merchandise branding divisions. The store layout, the colors, the
displays, the packaging and the concept {Where else can you take your doll to get her hair done or to eat with you in a high chair especially for her?!} are all cheery and spectacular. But alas, I refuse to pay twice as much for a doll outfit than I would for an outfit for any of my Girls. The Girl and I have read quite a few of the books and she knew that dolls existed but it never went any further than that. Gone are the days of being able to discreetly dispose of the catalogues that I received in the mail and with them any idea of ever owning one of the dolls. So after spending time in the store and multiple requests for this or that I came up with, "Put it on your Christmas wish list." {We'll be forwarding that on to the grandparents. Ha, ha!}

No comments: